Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Well, I'm Back

I am returned to New York, having successfully attended commencement (but not yet having successfully been graduated, since my last grade is not yet in, as is the YLS custom). Being a rank sentimentalist, I would have expected this to be a time in which I thought back wistfully on my three years in New Haven, but in fact I feel surprisingly cold on that front. Not that I'm not glad I went, or that I won't miss the carefree life of a law student, but, well, how can a person be nostalgic for law school? I suppose it will come in time, but I beg your forgiveness if I'm more focused on pending matters (like the Bar, or my wedding) than on waxing grandiloquent about happy schoolboy days gone by.

Also, now seems as good a time as any to say, in the words of the philosopher: hello, I must be going. I've had a good two-and-a-half-plus years blogging here at Mansfield Fox, but the time is fast approaching when I must leave you. First off, I no longer live on Mansfield Street, so it's a bit disingenuous to call myself the Mansfield anything any more. Plus, I suspect that the life of a young attorney, especially a junior associate at a tony New York firm, does not lend itself well to blogging: I won't be able to write about what I do most of the day (i.e., work), I'll have to steer clear of controversial topics for fear of cheesing off clients or partners, and so-on. And finally, I'd always thought of this as a law school project, a way to kill time and explore off-topic ideas without being a class-hijacking gunner or wasting professors' time in office hours. I think it's best for it to remain self-contained, a diary of and crude monument to my law school experience. I'll keep blogging sporadically over the next few months; I just wanted to give everybody a head's up so they can schedule extra appointments with their therapists now if they feel the need.