Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Friday, May 27, 2005

More Bookish Meminess

Death reminds me that, though I promised to, I never actually did the Fahrenheit 451/desert island meme she passed me a month and a half ago. I'd been meaning to get to it, but had been busy with writing my Substantial (or, more often, hiding from my Substantial). Anyway, no time like the present.

You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451. Which book do you want to be? Like Death, I assume this means, "What book would you want to memorize?" Would Fahrenheit 451 be too meta an answer?

I'd probably do Walker Percy's Love in the Ruins. It's funny, weird, Catholic, and mildly depressing. And if those aren't things the future needs, well, then I'm already wasting my time.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character? I'm far, far too busy having hopeless crushes on real people to waste time on fictional characters. (Which is to say, yes, on Rosie Cotton, from Lord of the Rings.)

The last book you bought was...? See the last meme. Judge Dave and the Rainbow People.

The last book you read was...? Same.

What are you currently reading? Beyond academic stuff for my Substantial, nothing. Once this is over, I plan to re-read The Name of the Rose in spare moments over the summer. I also brought home a copy of Leo Strauss' Natural Right and History, which may get read.

Five books you would take if stranded on a desert island: Chesterton had the best-ever answer to this question, so I'll start by ripping him off. 1) Thomas' Practical Guide to Ship-building. (Not, I believe, a real book. But a real funny answer.) 2) The Bible, which I might actually get around to reading more than a bit of with all that time on my hands. 3) The Tempest, on which my situation might give me new perspective. 4) A book of star charts. Without light pollution, I could really get in to star-gazing. 5) Lord of the Rings, which never fails to feel new.

To whom are you passing this meme, and why? Annie Banno. Just 'cause I can. (Or can I? I dunno. Maybe?)