Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

He'll Be Here All Week. (Tip Your Waitress.)

Yet another reason to like Pope Benedict:
During the first break, Lindbeck introduced me to Cardinal Ratzinger. The conversation went something like this: Lindbeck said, "Your eminence, I would like to introduce to you Cathleen Kaveny, a Catholic studying moral theology at Yale." I smiled and said hello. Ratzinger smiled at me and responded, "A Catholic studying moral theology at Yale? You’d better be careful or you’ll have the Congregation after you." I couldn't believe my ears. After all, I had just heard, while wide awake, what Cardinal Ratzinger--the Grand Inquisitor--would say to me in a nightmare, which naturally would also include a stake, a match, a heap of kindling, and a long, flowing white dress (à la Cecil B. De Mille’s The Story of Joan of Arc). He was joking, of course, as I realized almost immediately. Nonetheless, my face must have turned as pale as Joan’s dress. The cardinal quickly understood the problem: "With whom are you studying?" he asked. And not quite able to speak again, I pointed mutely to Lindbeck. Ratzinger said, "Well, then, that’s all right...you’re in good hands."
Ahh, your then-eminence, you know us all too well. Seriously, you have to like a guy who can joke about his own terrifying reputation.

(link via Baptized Pagan)