Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Monday, April 18, 2005

Who Says I'm Not for Diversity in the Church?

My last post notwithstanding, I took some time today to watch parts of the Solemn Mass for the Election of the Supreme Pontiff and the entrance of the cardinals into the Sistine Chapel on EWTN. Both were very moving; as much as I curse the modern world sometimes, it's a tremendous honor that, through the wonders of technology, I can witness these historic moments without having to leave my couch.

Amidst the solemnity, there's also some comedy, a sign, I think, of the real human-ness of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. I am referring, of course to the tremendous sight of Lubomyr Cardinal Husar, Archbishop of Lviv and Primate of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, as he waddles along in the various processions of cardinals. The cardinal seems the kind of man for whom the expression "short and stout" was created - he looks to be about 5'2", 240 lbs, though the effect may be exaggerated by the bulkiness of his vestments - and sways rhythmically from side to side as he processes. When this is combined with his great white beard and crown, Cardinal Husar cuts a very distinctive figure among the generally slim, clean-shaven Latin cardinals, moving directly forward in their red vestments and white mitres.

Another reason to pray for the reunification of the East and West.