Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Saturday, April 30, 2005

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Went to see "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" yesterday. It was good, and enjoyable, but not "excellent" or "earth-shattering" or anything. (Ironically, or perhaps not, this is basically how I feel about the book.) The director did a good job capturing the spirit of the books while crafting an at least semi-linear plot around which a conventional movie could be built. (I hadn't realized just how much of a plotless picaresque the book was until I saw how much you had to change to make it into a straightforward A -> B -> C movie.)

Other assorted thoughts: I continue to be impressed by Mos Def's acting abilities, but he's kind of hit-or-miss as Ford Prefect. (Though he should really stay away from Suzan Lori-Parks: all her plays are the same f***ing play!) Martin Freeman was perfectly cast as Arthur Dent, and was quite funny. I've never seen "The Office", which I now see is something I'll have to remedy. That Zooey Deschanel, she really boils my potato, let me tell you.


After the movie we went to Wal*Mart. Ahh, Wal*Mart: I get a tingly feeling in the base of my spine whenever I'm near you. I know they treat their employees poorly and most of their merchandise is manufactured by Chinese slave labor, but...but... (Somehow, "everybody does it" doesn't seem like an adequate defense.) Bracketing ethical questions for a moment, the place is unbelievable. Where else can you get a sandwedge, a 16-quart bag of potting soil, ping-pong balls, gummi Life Savers, and a pocket watch (not all purchased by me - try to guess which ones were!) in 20 minutes of shopping? It's like the mutant offspring of a cornucopia and an Arabian bazaar. I love you Wal*Mart, even if you are evil.