Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

How Do You Afford Your Rock'n'Roll Lifestyle?

Deft use of sales and the SuperSaver discount at Amazon.com, mostly.

To re-make a point that was controversial when I made it in college: in terms of consistency and quality of output, Cake is arguably the best, and certainly top five, of the rock acts of the last 10 years. I haven't had the chance to hear their most recent album, Pressure Chief, yet, but their earlier stuff is really quite amazing. They released four albums in 7 years (1994-2001) with not a single crappy track - not everything is genius, but you never find yourself reaching for the "skip" button. That's no small achievement in this day and age. Plus they've managed to maintain a consistent sound in an era of rapidly shifting genres, while still experimenting and never repeating themselves artistically. I don't think this will be any more persuasive now than it was when I made it back in the Spring of '03, but I wanted to put it out there.

I know Geoff Bough doesn't read this blog anymore (he skipped town when things got too Ultramontane around here - made me very sad, actually) but this post was kind of for him. We miss you, buddy.