Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Rebellion Against Rightful Authority (e.g., Me)

Things did not go as poorly at the Easter Vigil, if only because I had fewer ushering duties. I just had to do Communion, and was assigned to the same row (far right). It was a good lesson in the unruliness and ungovernability (and I mean those, I think, in a good way) of Catholics - even pious Catholics (remember that these people were in the process of sitting through a three hour liturgy on a Saturday night).

As I sent the first dozen rows or so, I was walking backwards, stopping at each pew and signaling that they could go. After the dozenth pew, as I tried to step back, I bumped into somebody. I turned around and, to my horror, saw an enormous line of people gathered behind me. About half of my aisle had decided that the presence of a man in a dark suit wearing a Knights of Columbus pin (OK, they probably couldn't see the pin) meant nothing, that they were definitely not being ushered, and that they should proceed to Communion as on any other Sunday. Perhaps these people had been in my aisle on Good Friday and had decided not to put up with my maladministration again. (Perhaps they'd read my post on the subject.... Nah.) I ducked into a pew to survey the situation. It was quickly evident that a) nobody was going to be able to start directing the line again, and b)the rightful occupants of the pew were about to return. So I got on line and received the Blessed Sacrament (under both species!).

As for my earlier speculation that the line would run more efficiently if simply let be: it did take less time, at least in comparison to the other side aisle, but the samples may be non-comparable because a lot of people left before Holy Communion. (Remember, this was about two hours and forty-five minutes into the Mass....)

Anyway, congratulations to all those brought into the Holy Mother Church, either through Baptism or Confirmation. And thanks to everybody who's bought me chocolate or beer - you're loved more than you can know.