Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Monday, December 20, 2004

"No, Your Words Are Wasted."

Margaret Holloway is the greatest actress of her generation. Her Medea is a beautiful terror. Her Macbeth hypnotic. Her original works are inspired, subtly plumbing depths I'll never see.

Margaret Holloway is a schizophrenic. She panhandles on the streets of New Haven, often quite aggressively, exchanging dramatic recitals for cash. They call her the Shakespeare Lady.

Margaret Holloway is my friend.

She has a court appearance today on a some misdemeanor charges and a failure to appear. She's already worked some time off whatever sentence she might get, having served 53 days in the women's prison in Niantic prior to Thanksgiving. I believe she can get up to a year on the FTA, but in my time at the state's attorney's office I never saw anyone get the full year unless it was concurrent with some heavier sentence for a more serious crime. I fear, though, that there's a first time for everything.

It looks like there'll be a benefit concert some time in February to raise money for her. Feel free to email me if you want more specific information; I'll try to get it for you.