Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Monday, November 22, 2004

Elite Media Bubble? Whaddya Mean?

From the article on The Incredibles that I linked to in the last post:
At one level, the debate is over current controversies in public education: Many parents believe that their children, mostly in elite schools, are being pushed too hard in a hypercompetitive atmosphere. But other parents are complaining about a decline in programs for gifted children, leaving students to languish in "untracked" and unstimulating classrooms.
So: "many" parents send their kids to "elite" schools; those whose children attend average-mediocre-or-bad schools are just the remnant, "others". I suppose that, from the perspective of a New York Times reporter, that's probably the way things are.

Am I making too much of a minor choice of phrase? Almost certainly.

I'm a blogger. That's my job.