Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Friday, October 08, 2004

Credit Where Credit is Due

As much as it pains me to admit (and believe me, it pains me to admit this) the Red Sox are the best overall team right now. They have the best combination of an explosive (and versatile) offense, dominating (and healthy) starting pitching, and a dangerous bullpen. They're earning their sweep of Anaheim. They're just an incredibly deep team. Obviously they have Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz (or is that Manny Ortez?) but they get a ton of clutch hits from second-tier guys like Johnny "Unfrozen Caveman Centerfielder" Damon and Kevin "I Look Amish Today"* Millar. And they have Bronson Arroyo, who's extraordinarily dangerous when he's on his stuff, to compliment Pedro and Schilling. Top to bottom, very dangerous.

I still think the Yanks match up well against them. We know how to play with their front-line starters. And there's the small matter of a certain Curse. And a little Mystique and Aura. So I'm going to give the Yanks a slight edge in an ALCS matchup. Of course, we still have to beat the Twinkies.

*Actual quote from today.