Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Saturday, September 11, 2004

Two Thoughts on the Seemingly Fake Memos

1)The anti-Bush forces (CBS News & the lefty blogosphere) are now exerting a huge amount of energy desperately trying to prove the genuineness of memos that, even if they are real, won't do any meaningful damage to the president. I mean: even if Bush were a lousy Air National Guardsman (and frankly I wouldn't be shocked if he were, even though I think these documents are forgeries, and crappy ones to boot): who cares? (Does this position, when combined with my position on the SwiftVets story, make me a hypocrite? I actually don't think so. Ask me why!)

2) The power of the righty blogosphere is downright spooky. Over the span of a couple of months, a small number of geeky right-wingers, acting largely on their own, have reversed the direction of the presidential race. They kept alive the SwiftVets story - which has seriously hurt Kerry, even as the public claims not to believe it - when the mainstream media wanted to bury and ignore it. And now they take a story that might have been very damaging to the president and, within 24 hours, they reveal that it's likely a fake and completely disarm the story. I just hope these guys never come after me.