Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Sunday, September 26, 2004

Them Doughnut Holes is Deee-licious

I was the point-man this week for the coffee and donuts after the 10am Mass at St. Mary's. (Ahh, the multiple-manifold joys of being a Knight.) Everything went well enough. The Dunkin Donuts people were able to give me 100 doughnut holes right away, even though I randomly showed up at 9:20am. (They were already ready for another church group, which hadn't shown up yet. Mwa-ha-ha!) They also gave me a little discount when they found out what the donuts were for, so I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

The big challenges were getting into the basement (solved by tracking down Brother Gerard with the aid of Father Caprio) and figuring out how to make the coffee. Even I'm not a coffee drinker (I get enough caffeine from soda, thanks) I do know how to make it, in the abstract. But the kitchen at St. Mary's has all this industrial-sized machinery that I couldn't figure out how to turn on. I wasted 10 minutes furiously flicking various buttons on and off, like a chimp with a Skinner Box and a real jones for food pellets. I eventually gave up and just made a bunch of individual pots, which took longer but succeeded in actually making coffee. I finished everything up just after Mass started, instructed the coffee maker that it was not permitted to burn the church down, and bolted upstairs. I spent the next 45-odd minutes trying not to get distracted by images of electrical fires and burning priories.

The coffee and donuts event itself went well. Lots of older parishioners, and some college-aged ones. Not much from the middle-aged bracket. Kind of like Foxwoods that way. Met a freshman from Yale College who's interested in joining the Knights, which was cool. I haven't been doing enough to recruit from the University, though in my defense I've only been a member for about two months.

After the donuts I repaired to Anna Liffey's with a bunch of parishioners from Yale Law, there to enjoy a fine traditional Irish brunch. (mmmm.... blood pudding...) We were joined there by to stately Dominicans, Father Juan Diego Brunetta, a judge in the Archdiocesan tribunal who's featured prominently in this recent article* about divorce among orthodox Catholics, and Father Jonathan Kalisch, the new chaplain at Quinnipiac. It was a very pleasant brunch - everyone noshed on the greasy, meaty, carboloaded goodness,** as we kvetched about legal education and they told amusing stories from the clerical life.

There was also some discussion of founding a Catholic group at the Law School, and of what form such a group would take (whether it would be mostly a prayer group, or a forum for discussing Church doctrine and current events, or both; how often it should meet, etc). Nothing was decided, but there seemed to be general agreement that a group of some kind ought to be formed, so I think this is going to happen, at least in some form. I'll update as the situation develops.

After brunch I went and cleaned up the basement, and then went to TK's for some foozball watching. Sat across from a Vikings fan and a Bears fan as they watched their respective teams battle it out in the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome (future site of the Restored Congress). The Bears fan got progressively more agitated as his team got jobbed, again and again, by awful officiating. Throwing salt at people, threatening to stab the Vikes fan (who used to make a living from his movie-star good looks) with my butter knife. Ahh, but 'twas all in good fun.

By the way, what's the deal with Jacksonville's season? They're 3-0, but have scored a grand total of 35 points. Byron Leftwich has passed for a total of 509 yards. They've won two games in the last ten seconds. Cra-a-azy.

And now I'm at home, watching the shootout at the RCA Dome, blogging and getting ready to do a little reading. A good day, all around.

--- --- ---

* A bit of trivia: the author of that article, Tom Hoopes, did the KofC soup kitchen with me last Sunday. Or, rather, I did it with him. I'm the newbie. Seemed like a very nice guy. Has a cute (and big) family. Maybe you should check out one of his magazines, eh?

** In case you're curious, the Traditional Irish Breakfast at Liffey's consists of fried eggs, bacon, two sausages, blood pudding (both white and black), fried potatoes and three slices of soda bread. It's a delicious way to hasten one's death through a massive coronary.