Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Thursday, September 23, 2004

A Man with Two Knives

There was a large (foot-and-a-half long) drill bit on the desk next to me in Property today. Not clear how it got there. (Repairs perhaps? But no part of the room was visibly being repaired.) It was a source of much pre- and post-class enjoyment. Picking it up, waiving it in the air, whacking each other on the head with it. (Maybe not so much the last one.) Law students, in my experience, love found objects and shiny things. We're not unlike monkeys that way.

This being a class on property law, the discussion turned to whether the bit had been abandoned (meaning I could claim it as the finder) or merely mislaid (in which case I it would revert to the landowner, Yale University, conveniently almost certainly the true owner). Much to my chagrin, we settled on "mislaid", and now I'm sans bit. But I'll always have the memories.