Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Sunday, August 08, 2004

Yankee-Blogging, the Return

I haven't blogged about the Bombers in a while. Don't assume from that that I've not been following them. I just haven't had much to say. Now I do. So:

They're going to build a new Yankee Stadium, right next to the old one. I'm generally against teams leaving the old, venerable parks (Fenway, the Stadium, Wrigley, Le Stade Olympique - just kidding!). If a new stadium must be built, my druthers, if I could have 'em, would be to do it on the location of the old one. It's a reverence-for-place thing; it would mean a lot to me, for wholly irrational reasons, for the Yankees of the future to play on the same grass where Ruth and Yogi and Reggie and all the other Great Men once trod. But the practical problems involved with razing one stadium and raising another on its spot are too daunting, so my idea's a non-starter.

If the new stadium must be built, I suppose I like the way they're doing it. First, it's entirely self-financed. No ludicrous giveaways from a cash-strapped city. Second, the look of the new stadium is meant to be evocative of the original Yankee Stadium, the House that Ruth Built of the 20s. Modern amenities of course, but a retro look. Third, they're keeping the original stadium partially standing, and will convert the field into a Little League field. That's the right idea; it would've been a shame to see it paved over.

One question: will the home locker room in the new stadium still have an empty locker bearing the number 15?

The team, meanwhile, has been playing great. Four great starts, back-to-back-to-back-to-back, from Brown, Vazquez, El Duque and Lieber. The offense has been heating up, scoring 30 runs over the last four games. The bullpen's rested. Jeter's average is up to .281, Sheffield, A-Rod and Matsui are slugging like it's going out of style, and the newly acquired John Olerud has been on fire. Any team in baseball could have had this guy; why do we have all the luck?