Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Friday, August 06, 2004

Vote For Pedro

NOTICE: Spoilers follow. At least pseudo-spoilers. You've been warned.

My brother and I saw Napoleon Dynamite last night. It was alright. Fit nicely Moe Szyslak's definition of postmodern: "weird for the sake of weird". There were a lot of things (the family having a pet llama, the wife of the martial-arts instructor being an enormous female bodybuilder, Pedro's wig) that seemed as if they were just included for the "wouldn't it be weird if we had X" factor. They didn't tell you anything about the characters, in the way that some of the other far-out quirks (like Napoleon's proclivity for drawing obscure mythological animals) did. I like non-sequiturs, I really do, but there's only so many you can cram into a movie before it tips over into absurdist-surrealist territory. Not, as they say, that there's anything wrong with that. But the movie made me laugh, which was all I suppose I was looking for. A small film, but it's OK for films to be small sometimes.