Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Sunday, April 25, 2004

YESTERDAY WAS A GOOD DAY. In the morning, I started Love in the Ruins (courtesy of Cross-Campus Library) which I'd meant to do for a while. Then I had lunch at Mory's with Old Oligarch and Zorak the Embittered Mantis, who were in town for various sinister doings. It was nice to get to meet them. I wish I'd had more interesting things to say, but alas, as you might have guessed from reading this blog, I'm not a terribly interesting person.

After lunch I went to a bbq further up on Mansfield Street. That too was a good time. The people who'd taken the Journal entrance exam were celebrating their having finished the exam. The people who hadn't (I like to call them smart people) were celebrating their not having taken it. Burgers, dogs, brauts, beers, sangria, frisbe, football, a pit-bull in a tu-tu (don't ask): an excellent way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Then it was on to my final obligation of the day: tending bar at the Divinity School's spring formal. And by "tending bar" I mean "serving people beer and wine". I tried to get hard liquor for the event, but the organizers shot me down (not unreasonably, I suppose). I guess my Mr. Boston will have to continue to gather dust for a little while longer.

The Div School prom was the highlight of my day. I really love tending bar; couldn't tell you why, exactly: it just feels right. Maybe someday I can be like NBC's Ed, with a bar instead of a bowling alley. Probably not, though. Those kinds of things don't happen in real life.

Anyway, enough melancholia: the prom was fun. It was in a park on the west side of the harbor called Lighthouse Point. There was a DJ and dancing and an indoor carousel. I cannot stress how strange that was. People were riding it all night long. Unspeakably strange. (Full disclosure: I tried it at the end of the night.)

So it was a good time, and an excellent cap to a great day.


Today? Eh, not so hot. Perhaps it'll get better, but I suspect today is just the kind of day when things go badly. Ah, well.