Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

WENT TO SEE DAVID BERNSTEIN, of the Conspiracy fame, at the law school today. He was giving a little lecture on his book, "You Can't Say That!", which is about the threat to civil liberties posed by antidiscrimination statutes. All-in-all, a nice presentation. I thought about asking him his opinions on the recent Conan O'Brien/Canada fracas, but I didn't want to impugn the dignity of those august proceedings with what was essentially a joke question. I was reminded, also, why I don't go to more Federalist Society events: we all dress alike. It's creepy: we're all in checkered flannel shirts and plain pants (jeans or khakis). It's nice that we're all so defiant in our rejection of the metrosexual Yale Law norm, but in the end it just looks like somebody cloned a scrawny lumberjack over and over and then gave all the clones copies of "The Road to Serfdom" to keep them occupied in the waiting room. Maybe it's just that I can't stand not being the worst-dressed man in the room: I have a certain Mr. Blackwell reputation to uphold.