Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Saturday, November 15, 2003

NON-UNIFORMED HAWKS The hubbub over Tom Tomorrow's latest comic seems to have basically died down, but before it disappears entirely, I'd just like to make one point.

There are lots of people who aren't in the military because they can't get into the military. Andrew Sullivan, for instance, is openly gay. Prof. Glenn Reynolds is over 34, and therefore to old to enlist. Or take little ol' me: though I'm young enough and straight enough, I tried to join the army and failed, in no small part because my body is as functional and reliable as a 1972 AMC Gremlin.

My question: is Tom Tomorrow implying that Sullivan, Reynolds and I shouldn't be able to blog in favor of the War on Terror because we haven't done something we're not capable of doing (that is, enlisting in the military)? Don't we get some kind of disability exemption?