Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Saturday, November 15, 2003

I'M WATCHING THE JEFFERSON JACKSON DINNER on CSPAN right now. I'm sure you're dying to know: who sang the national anthem? Well, I'll tell you. The Gay Men's Choir of Des Moines. I have two thoughts re: the GMCDM. One: they weren't very good. This isn't to speak ill of them. "The Star-Spangled Banner" is a hard one to sing properly. I, for instance, can't do it. But, y'know, if I were gonna sing it on national TV, I'd wanna be able to hit the high notes. Two: I think it says something meaningful about the Democratic Party that they had a not-very-good gay men's choir open at the JJ Dinner. It seems clear to me that it's more important to the Dems to include a gay group than to have a group that could sing the anthem well. And that says something about the Democrats. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing I don't know, and leave to you.