Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Tuesday, November 04, 2003

HOORAY, ELECTION DAY! America's favorite non-holiday. In honor of the day, I've decided to acquaint myself with local politics.

I've discovered that I live in Ward 22, which covers my side of Mansfield Street, Science Hill, the Law School, the Hall of Graduate Studies, Ezra Styles and Morse Colleges, and the residential neighborhood bounded by Dixwell Avenue, Munson Street and Winchester Street.

My alderwoman is Mae Ola Riddick, who served from 1996-1997 but was turned out of office after a mini-scandal involving some unaccounted-for federal housing funds. (Though she was never charged with anything. See the YDN for more details.) Riddick returned to office in 2001, defeating the woman who'd beaten her, and has served since. I don't know much else about her, I must confess, except that she seems to be some kind of "community activist."

I think tomorrow I'm going to go register to vote in New Haven. Certainly some time this week. No reason to stay registered in NYC anymore: I don't really care about local politics there, and its unlikely the GOP is going to turn the 2004 senate race into a contested one. Connecticut, man: that's where its at!