Mansfield Fox

Law student. Yankees fan. Massive fraggle. Just living the American dream.

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Know Me by My Music

Following Father Tucker, I've decided to take the "Top Ten Random Songs Challenge". The rules:
1. Open up the music player on your computer.
2. Set it to play your entire music collection.
3. Hit the "shuffle" command.
4. Tell us the title of the next ten songs that show up (with their musicians), no matter how embarrassing. That's right, no skipping that Carpenters tune that will totally destroy your hip credibility. It's time for total musical honesty.
5. Write it up in your blog or journal and link back to at least a couple of the other sites where you saw this.
6. If you get the same artist twice, you may skip the second (or third, or etc.) occurrences. You don't have to, but since randomness could mean you end up with a list of ten song with five artists, you can if you'd like.


My list:
1. OutKast, Ghetto Musick
2. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Yertle the Turtle
3. Gary Jules, Mad World (from the Donnie Darko soundtrack)
4. the Beatles, Hey Jude
5. Snoop Dogg, Trust Me
6. Kylie Minogue, Love at First Sight
7. TaTu, Malchik Gay
8. Cake, Is This Love?
9. G. Love and Special Sauce, Rhyme for the Summertime
10. the Waterboys, Death is Not the End
In a funny twist, the next song on the playlist was a clip of Homer Simpson singing "My Baloney has a First Name". A class act, I am. To make sure the initial list wasn't some weird outlier, I redid the experiment, and got these results:
1. OutKast, Da Art of Storytellin' (Part 1)
2. Veruca Salt, Volcano Girls
3. Kylie Minogue, Love at First Sight
4. Jamie Foxx, Slow Jamz (from Kanye West's "The College Dropout")
5. Belle & Sebastian, Poupee De Cire, Poupee De Son
6. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, I Won't Back Down
7. Nick Drake, Thoughts of Mary Jane
8. the Rolling Stones, Ruby Tuesday
9. the Cardigans, Love Fool
10. the Simpsons, Dr. Zaius
Some thoughts: I think the lists are pretty representative (weirdly so) of the music on my computer, which is in turn representative of my musical tastes. Not that there weren't quirks: In both lists, OutKast came up first, and twice (I dropped the second both times, even though they were better songs). Also, Kylie Minogue came up on both lists. Is this the Windows Media Player version of "My TiVo thinks I'm gay"?